15 September 2008

Same Show, New Name - "The Madame Psychosis Hour" 9/15/08

I decided to change the name of my show last week -- the old name, "The Eclectic Mayhem," was a Muppets joke that nobody got, plus it also bore a striking similarity to the name of another new show on the station; not that there's anything wrong with that show of course, but it's kind of like when you show up to a party wearing the exact same clothes somebody else -- ONE of you has to change it, and I wasn't all that attached to mine.

So for some reason I decided to go for a new name that was even more dorky and obscure than the old one. I had just settled on "The Madame Psychosis Hour" (Madame Psychosis is the radio show host in Infinite Jest) and then 24 hours later learned that that book's author had just died. So, that was a pretty strange coincidence, and more than a little eerie.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Here's what I played on the air last night:

John Cale and Terry Riley - "Ides of March" (1971)
the Vivian Girls - "Tell the World" (2008)

Xasthur - "Prison of Mirrors" (2005)
Akron/Family - "Don't Be Afraid, You're Already Dead" (2007)
Burning Star Core - "Mezzo Forte" (2008)

Bettye Swann - "I'm Lonely for You" (1968)
the Velvet Underground - "Murder Mystery" (1969)
My Bloody Valentine - "Map Ref. 41°N 93°W" (1996)



John Cale and Terry Riley - "Church of Anthrax" (1971)
Mogwai - "Superheroes of BMX" (1997)
Delroy Wilson - "Dancing Mood" (1966)
Bob Dylan - "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts" (1975)

Oingo Boingo - "On the Outside" (1981)
Devo - "Big Mess" (1982)
Yellow Magic Orchestra - "Insomnia" (1979)
os Mutantes - "Hey Boy" (1970)
the Ones to Blame - "I Forget" (2006)
Sonic Youth - "Moonface" (1991)

Yo La Tengo - "Sugarcube" live at Anthology Film Archives (1999)

4 comments:

Don Harrison said...

As they say: "A rose by any other name..."

That stuff you were playing from the "Church of Anthrax" LP sounded incredible — I need to get that reissue.

Dante said...

sorry i missed your show, but great name! hi-fives from southwest germany...

Anonymous said...

j-

i've been so bumming about D.F.W.
for myself, i was re-reading 'oblivion' all last week, and had just finished 'good old neon'.
how can you account for such things?
regardless, i believe your madame psychosis hour will be the perfect ongoing audio tribute.
just don't send us into a catatonic state...

DJ Hummingbird Feeder said...

Thanks guys. By the way, I've got a thing about Wallace up here:http://www.nailgunmedia.com/blog/?p=1241

Also, Don's right -- that Cale/Riley record is AMAZING. my new favorite, this month.