23 July 2008

I'm Not Playing with You


The Rock Department email list was forwarded this news item from the July 22 issue of the Cville Weekly. I wrote this in reply:

I just threw up in my mouth. Can't wait for Starbucks to move into Rose Hill Dr.
Long live King Capshaw!

Which wasn't exactly empathized with.


This isn't about Coran Capshaw, who c
ontrols a large portion of the live music in our town and who owns a ton of the restaurants we eat at. We could talk about the demographics of the "neighborhood" of his most visible real estate venture, or of this new interim venue, which isn't at all off-subject, to me, but I want to keep this short.

I like seeing live music, and hate driving to DC to see it. I've seen shows at Starr Hill, and at the Satellite Ballroom--spaces which, for most people I know, were objects of acceptance, not affection. There is a place in this world for these venues, and I'm not arguing for a world of house shows (though I wouldn't mind a resurgence on that front).

But please, tell me why I shouldn't feel at least a little ambivalent about giving my money to someone who shows a poisonous disregard for the fabric of our community. And pretty please, tell me why we should settle for a situation in which most--but not all--of our live music is in the hands of one figure.


I think this is a subject worthy of more than jokey one-liners. I pay for music, but music is not a commodity. It's an opportunity: for community, for relationships, for action, for challenge, for resistance, for education, and yes, for fun. Always for fun.


And I had more fun at the Tokyo Rose or Pudhouse or Summit St. than I ever did at even the best Satellite or Starr Hill shows. Those spaces are the rule, not the exception.

Mike Parisi
NO_BROW
Fridays 12-2pm

3 comments:

Dante said...

i agree. and i missed the heyday of tokyo rose and other places.

for the same reason i wouldn't join the facebook group "capshaw save satellite" when it was relevant.

baconfat said...

i have a novel-length reply to this post bouncing around in my head but it's late and i am still recovering from my crazy corporate-rock weekend in chicago. but one thing i found interesting is that you posted a picture of fugazi, who played a capshaw-affiliated venue the one time i saw them here in charlottesville (trax, late 1999). i understand that by that time he was probably out of the venture entirely, but he did co-run that show for a few years at least.

heatshock said...

Equally torn....
I see no reason NOT to feel ambivalence about the situation. Diversity strengthens a system, biological or otherwise, and here we are faced with yet another consolidation. What's a thinking citizen to do?

Settle? Ouch, that hurts when you put it like that. But yes, I supposed that's what we'll do. We will pay the price to see the bands we want. Or maybe you won't. I probably will. Do I feel I'm compromising myself if I fork over $15 to go see the Melvins play down the street instead of driving to Baltimore? No. I will buy a ticket, ride my bike, bring in my own flask of bourbon and rock the fuck out. I will support live music in Charlottesville and let the bands I love know that I'm glad they came here instead of Richmond, or not at all.

So yeah, maybe that's settling. But until we can organize ourselves, find an appropriate space, get the necessary contacts and capital, and make this happen without corporate lube, we're all stuck with this situation. In the meantime, let's bring back house shows. Let's book more bands at Dust. Let's have serious discussions about how to create better community and find ways to support independent efforts that compliment what Charlottesville already has rolling.

And let's not forget: we DO have a voice about this new venue. Citizen support can make or break this deal. Do we want to see a medium sized venue in this town? Of course. But as the people who will make this venture financially feasible or not, we have power! Why not let Coran and the city know what it is we want to see? Issues regarding location, neighborhood impact, booking, prices, and transportation are up for negotiation. Why not come up with ideas of our own and see how far we can take it? That way, when you throw up in your mouth, maybe it won't burn quite as much......